Friday, August 21, 2009

Moving Around

Heeere's Tommy!

Tommy's personality has really come front and center to everyday activities. Aside from being a big smiler all the time, he laughs and laughs when I help him "chase" Karina around the house or "tickle" her. He enjoys peek-a-boo and even does it himself by holding a burp cloth in front of his own face. He also shows his determination by trying to walk a little when we hold his hands and by trying to stand when he's in the jumper by suddenly locking his knees mid-jump. If he wasn't a baby I swear he'd do damage to his knees from the impact to his straight locked-kneed legs!

Lately what has become most noticeable is that Tommy can manipulate his body around more easily. He still doesn't seem to like to be sat down because he always fights it by keeping his body as rigid as possible. And although he's almost always dependable to stay upright I still sometimes put the boppy pillow behind him just in case.

Tommy enjoying the flashing musical keyboard and his hanging animal friends...with a protective Boppy behind him

He doesn't seem to know how to get down to his back or tummy without help, but Karina has been known to "help" him down ...I finally decided that I'd better just teach her how to do it safely because she was going to keep laying him down when I wasn't looking (see "Karina Next" for details.) Once he's on his back he quite easily flips from his back to his tummy and then he really has good extension pushing his torso up with his arms.

Happy Tommy sitting up...

...laying down...

...and up on his arms on his tummy.

At the end of the day, one of the hardest times is bedtime when everyone is tired and wants special individualized attention. For now Karina still goes to bed before Tommy, and although she always says she wants Tommy in the bed while we're reading books, she doesn't get settled down at all. Luckily, usually Tom is home, except for Brewers Game nights, and he takes Tommy downstairs for some male bonding while the I get Karina to sleep.

Tommy having a big smile during playtime with Daddy

Everyone loves to kiss Tommy

No comments: