Monday, November 30, 2009

So Sick And Skinny!

These last few weeks have been really tough on Karina. As I mentioned a few entries ago, Karina, Tommy and I have been throwing around a virus or two, but little did I realize that much worse was still to come...especially for Karina! The poor dear had already had some minor illnesses and then the night before Tom left for Las Vegas for 4 days, she woke up crying at 12:30am saying, "Mommy, my neck hurts!" which I interpreted to mean she had a sore throat. My mom always told the story about Quentin saying this exact phrase as a child when he had sore throat! Anyway, she was sick and ended up having a pretty good fever for the next two days.

Watching TV with a fever

The only "good" (and I use the term loosely) thing about Karina getting sick when she did, was that she didn't make it to school for Father's Visitation Day, which Tom had to miss because of his trip to Las Vegas. We'd both been feeling badly that he wasn't going to be there and Karina would have to be father-less when all the other daddies were at school with their kids. Since she wasn't even at school, she didn't have to feel different from the other kids, without a Daddy at school. Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, her appetite was significantly decreased with the fever and took a few more days to return.

Napping with her kitty, Bart

Then about a week later, Karina had a date with Opa to go out for lunch and then to the movie "Ice Age II." According to Opa, Karina spit up at McDonald's...into his hands of all places...but he thought maybe she was just anxious because she said she felt okay. So they went to the movie, but halfway through the movie Karina asked to go home. We didn't make too much of the afternoon's events until that night when she began vomiting. Luckily, it didn't happen more than once and she slept through the night, but it was definitely not just "spit up!" She had only vomited one other time when she was a lot younger and she didn't seem to remember it, so this was pretty upsetting to Karina. She didn't have an appetite for a couple of days, but woke up the second morning saying, "I feel all better, Mommy!" She may have felt better but she was still weak and repeatedly told me, "I'm so tired!" The next day was Tuesday and Tom, Tommy, Grandma and Opa went to Bella's for burgers and ice cream, for which Karina said she was "...so hungry!" but when it came time to eat she only cried because she was afraid to eat and said, "I might spit up again!"

Karina looks so skinny and this was before the vomiting!

The next day, Karina mentioned that her throat felt scratchy, and I was worried that she was getting sick again, but luckily it didn't end up being anything and she finally felt safe enough to
eat a week after the vomiting. We went to Bella's again, just for her, and she happily ate her cheeseburger and hot fudge sundae. Thank goodness, because it was bringing tears to my eyes to see how weak and skinny my normally big strong girl had become!

No comments: