Friday, February 02, 2007

Sick

My sick little baby...doesn't she look skinny!

I think this photo pretty well illustrates how Karina's been feeling for the past month. It started with a cough way back in early January, and she hasn't been herself since then. She had a couple of days where she seemed a bit feverish and then I thought she was getting better when the coughing almost stopped, but then her appetite went away. I could barely get her to eat one serving of anything at one sitting, and even then only if Sesame Street was on. Luckily, she was still drinking her milk, so she wasn't getting dehydrated. At least not until she got the loose stools that cause a mess all over her clothes every time she has a bowel movement! It's to the point that Karina cries when I even head for the changing table! And even after the new diaper is on, she'll cry so hard that I can't put the rest of her clothes on.
A day when Karina would only let me put on her onesie

The first photo was a day where she wouldn't let me put anything on her on the changing table, so I just wrapped her little sobbing body in a blanket and carried her downstairs to watch Sesame Street. That show has been our saving grace...it's one of the only things that will sooth her when we can't be right there with her. And that's not like her either...usually she's very good at entertaining herself and can be left to play while I'm making her cereal or whatever, but lately unless Sesame Street is on, she starts crying whenever I walk away. It's not that she spends the whole day crying but she's just whimper-y and more needy than usual. Nonetheless, during this past month, Karina has made progress with her crawling...she's much more coordinated and therefore much faster.
Karina's cute behind as she crawls away from me

She's getting better at clapping so that now it actually makes a noise. She's gotten heavy enough (even without hardly eating) that we've switched to the bigger car seat and now she's facing forward...to which she adjusted very well. We were also able to celebrate Uncle Quentin's birthday...unlike last year when I was feeling too crummy to even call him...but it didn't go very well, because at the restaurant Karina was just not content to sit in her chair. She was only happy if I had her on my lap or was carrying her, so we had to leave early. Again, this is just not like her to be so needy. We're hoping she's feeling better soon...and when she does, she'll probably eat non-stop for two weeks!

Karina giving us a beautiful smile

No comments: