Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Trip to the Zoo with Elsa

Today we went to the zoo and met Aunt Lee, Uncle Bob and Cousin Elsa. It was a little brisk so we all bundled up a bit, but a good time was had by all. Lots of animals were out today and Karina and Elsa were really able to enjoy seeing them.

Daddy, Karina and Elsa enjoying the chimpanzees

The Daddies and their little girls

As Aunt Lee put it best in Elsa's blog..."As you can see both girls could totally take on the baby gorilla!"

Coincidentally the peacocks, which roam free throughout the zoo, seemed to be in their mating season...this is of course coming from a completely uneducated source (me!)...and were making all sorts of noise while strutting around with their tail feathers spread.


The funniest moment was probably when Karina did a very convincing job imitating the peacock's mating cry, by squawking back at a peacock in the walkway as her Daddy strolled her past him.

The peacock and Karina sharing a glance
as the peacock determined decisively that Karina is not a lady peacock!

The last tidbit I want to mention about this zoo trip is something I didn't notice until I looked at the photos. Look at Elsa in this next picture...contentedly hanging out in her stroller. And then in the following photos check out her initial apparent obsession with getting her mouth on the stroller tray...and then her somewhat snake-like (sorry Elsa...I can't think of a cuter animal with a long tongue) tongue tricks. I just had to put it in the blog...I was giggling too hard by myself to not share it with you all. Here are Elsa's thoughts (as I imagine them, of course)

"Yup, here I am at the Zoo...just hanging out in my stroller"

Hmm...I wonder what this tray thingie would taste like if I could get my mouth down there?"

"If I could just lean over a little bit more..."

"Oh well...forget about that stroller bar...what can I do with my tongue for fun?"

"Oh yeah! Now this feels interesting!"

See what I mean! She's so funny and cute I just couldn't stop smiling!

No comments: