Monday, May 04, 2009

Visiting Claire

Last weekend the Southern Heinrichs went up to Mequon to visit the Northern Heinrichs to meet Claire. Karina was so excited and apparently, so was Elsa.

When we arrived and were gathering our things, I heard a strange distant shrill sound that I couldn't place. I looked to Tom and asked if he heard the sound. He answered, "It's Elsa." I turned to look at the window where I could see Elsa standing rigid yet smiling with her mouth wide open in a scream of excitement! It was the funniest sight and sound combination...I mean, just hysterically funny!

Tommy, Karina, Elsa and Claire

Both Lee and Claire seemed really well, although Claire only had her eyes open for a few minutes when we arrived, so it was a little harder to tell. But Claire was certainly content...and although she has a lot of very blond hair (unlike Elsa) she reminded me very much of Elsa at that age...who also slept through every one of my visits (of which there were only a few.)

Bob and Elsa seemed to be doing well, too, and the girls had a great time. They were both literally in hysterics playing with Tom, who was doing a slapstick comedic routine of getting knocked over by a large punching balloon. This went on for almost ten minutes and the girls never stopped laughing.

At the end of our visit we took the photo of the four Heinrich grandchildren. We had the big sisters help hold up the little siblings, and I got the great photo above after shooting a dozen shots during which the girls did a great job holding still and smiling. One of the funniest moments was when Elsa decided she didn't want to sit on the sofa any longer, but didn't see any reason she shouldn't just get up...even though she was the only thing holding up Claire. So Elsa scooted forward and slid off of the sofa, and as we all yelled for Elsa to remain where she was, we all watched Claire topple over, face first in to the sofa cushions. This is why three year-olds aren't allowed to take care of infants! Of course, Claire wasn't in any real danger and the adults were just rolling with laughter as the scene unfolded.

No comments: