Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sleep-shopping?

So everyone knows that new parents are extremely sleep deprived and anyone with more than one child knows that it's even worse with two little kids. I have been known to fall asleep in minutes whether I'm laying down or sitting up. So far I can stay awake if I'm standing up or driving...but I am trying to keep driving to a minimum just in case. I have fallen asleep while reading Karina her bedtime stories awakening to hear my voice saying something that has nothing to do with the story and hear Karina say, "What, Mommy?" Last night at work, I dosed off while documenting an interview and woke up to read that I had written part of a line from Karina's Curious George book...something about "letting the dogs inside" (to lick up the frosting George got all over the kitchen!)

But here is the best story about my exhaustion-induced antics. Last week, I was online on my lap top in the family room researching the shipping costs of a wedding present for Tom's cousin Maggie. I'd gone through the steps to see how much the shipping would cost and was preparing to talk with Tom about which gifts we would have delivered and which ones we would pick up ourselves, when I apparently fell asleep. I woke up a few minutes later, quite surprised that I'd fallen asleep while sitting up yet again. I shook off the grogginess, looked at the screen and read in big print, "Congratulations on your recent purchase!" I said to myself, "You've got to be kidding me!" My finger had been on the touchpad and had apparently jerked enough in my sleep to click on "Complete Order!"

I don't know if I'm the first person to have ever made a sleep purchase, but I feel fairly confident that Bed, Bath & Beyond Consumer Services probably hasn't had many calls like this..."Hi, you're probably not going to believe this, but I just fell asleep and made an order by mistake when my finger hit the touchpad. Can I cancel my order, please?" Ugghh! How embarrassing!

No comments: